Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Hello, My Name is _______________: Julie

We are currently introducing ourselves via narrative writing inspired by a 1999 Ann Landers column. For more information, visit this post: Hello, My Name is _______________.

A Passion for Learning

When I first walked into your kindergarten classroom, I was sure that the district had made the right choice in hiring you.  Even though you were a brand new teacher, you were always telling me about the latest professional resources you had read.  I was shocked to see how full your classroom library was, considering you were just starting out in your teaching career.  I began to wonder were that passion had come from.  It was apparent that you had a love of literacy – it seemed like everything you did in your classroom revolved around reading.
Since your classroom door was ALWAYS open I was able to observe you over the next few years, I noticed that you never seemed to let your coworkers or building morale deflate your high expectations for yourself as a learner or for your students.  You were always asking questions and never afraid to admit you didn’t have the answer.

Sometimes I would get tired hearing you talk about “what’s best for kids.”  I would watch you come in on weekends and take work home.  I would wonder how you did not get burned out.  I decided it must be a passion for learning.

I will never forget the day you resigned from teaching to stay home with your new baby.  I recall you telling me that you would be back soon…
Ten years later – YOU WERE!!! 

Though I must admit, you have aged a bit, there is something in your eyes that has remained.  I believe it to be that passion for learning.  After all those years, it is still there.

Now in your role as a District Literacy Coach, I find your bookshelves overflowing with professional resources.  Every time I pass you in the hall you tell me about this great new book and how I should read it.  The next day, your copy is on my desk.  I feel like your passion for learning is infectious.  Your colleagues seem to really trust you, sometimes enough to let you into their classrooms.  That is amazing!  I often hear other teachers ask you how you know so much.  You always reply by telling them “I am a learner and I love to read.”  It seems so simple, but I believe it is part of who you are.  I hope that you are proud of the professional you have become, but most of all I hope that as you continue to learn, your passion will remain.

Biography:


Julie Schwartzbauer is beginning her third year working for Appleton Area School District as a K-2 District Literacy Coach.  She completed her undergrad work at the University of Wisconsin Milwaukee.  She first received her Bachelor Degree in Psychology, knowing she always wanted to work with children.  Julie was later inspired by professor to pursue a career in teaching.   She received her Master’s Degree in Reading from the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh.


After staying home to raise her family, Julie became employed by the Menasha Joint School District.  It was there that she received training in Reading Recovery and began working as a Literacy Coach.  


Now in Appleton, Julie still remains a strong advocate for Reading Recovery.  She services 16 elementary schools as a Literacy Coach and loves supporting the staff.  She could not do it without her coaching partner and supportive administrators.


When Julie does not have her nose in a professional resource, she is biking, hiking and watching her three children play soccer.  Her husband is her biggest cheerleader and best friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. Your comment will appear after approval by this blog's editor.