Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Hello, My Name is _______________: Bobbi


We are currently introducing ourselves via narrative writing inspired by a 1999 Ann Landers column. For more information, visit this post: Hello, My Name is _______________.

As part of a reflective exercise, a group of fantastic coaches from around the state got together and had a two-day learning retreat. One of the stimuli for our written reflections was an Ann Lander’s piece about an unwelcome visitor settling in to a woman’s home.  Turns out, the unwelcome visitor was just old age.  Although I could definitely write about getting older, my reflection below has taken a spin on the Lander’s column, and I am speaking from the perspective of my much wiser self to the me that has grown and changed in the role of literacy coach and literacy activist for the Madison Metropolitan School District.
~~~~~~~~~~~

When you walked into your new position, you reminded me of Marlo Thomas in the 1960’s show “That Girl” – bright eyed, face full of wonder, body flouncing and humming with palpable energy. For those of you who are too young, and I am sure there are many, you have to watch the link I have included in order to get an accurate visual in your head. Let us forward to the present once again and revisit the current Marlo, err… Literacy Coach, entering not the crazy world of New Yorkers, but the even crazier world of education.  Having been in education for 22 years, I am sure I understand why you, a classroom teacher turned Literacy coach, expected group hugs, open-armed welcomes, and a “let’s do it for the kids” attitude. That’s not quite what happened, was it?

Luckily, you are a reflective person and spent a lot of time hashing over your first few coaching gigs, and decided that coaching is WAY more complicated than you first thought.  Not only is it complicated, you also learned that to be a successful coach, you need the following traits: knowledge, patience, methodical organizational skills, and the ability to morph into an introvert (quiet observer) to an extrovert (dynamic facilitator) with the spin of your head (not the exorcist…I save that type of head spinning for when I get home to my three kids.)

I see you progressing, sometimes regressing, but most importantly learning. You rediscovered that relationships develop over time; patience is a key ingredient to change; and making mistakes is the only way one can authentically participate in life. Most importantly, you are beginning to understand that knowledge is constructed through a process, not given as a product. Therefore, one way to support knowledge learned is to reflect on it. In addition, as a strong supporter of Literacy, I say WRITE, WRITE, and WRITE! I encourage readers to use the prompt below at the beginning or end of a meeting.  Another idea is to respond to the prompt in the comment section of this blog.
~~~~~~~~
Do you want to begin your professional development with a reflective writing prompt?  Look after the pencil symbol each blog post provided by Bobbi Campbell.
Reflective Writing: 
What qualities of a coach do you value the most? Out of those qualities, which one would you choose to have has your goal or focus of the year?  How will you go about monitoring and measuring your progress? Choose a song to represent your goal.  It should be a song on your Ipod, or on a CD you own.  Keep it handy and play it weekly to remind you of your goal. As an example, my son Alexander uses the theme song to Rocky before his football practice or game. His song choice reminds him to stay focused, breathe through the drills, and that each day will get easier if he perseveres.

Biography:



Bobbi Campbell is a Literacy Activist for the Madison Metropolitan School District.

1 comment:

  1. Your bolded phrase "knowledge is constructed through a process, not given as a product," made me think that too often we forget that the things that are conducive to learning for students are the same things that are conducive to learning for adults. It's important to continually ask ourselves, what do I believe is conducive to student learning? Do my learning opportunities for professional educators reflect that?

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated. Your comment will appear after approval by this blog's editor.