Thursday, September 19, 2013

Hello, My Name is _______________: Heather


We are currently introducing ourselves via narrative writing inspired by a 1999 Ann Landers column. For more information, visit this post: Hello, My Name is _______________.

I lay next to the chair.  I am a little frayed in areas, maybe lost a little color.  My stitches are loose in a few places, but I am still intact.  It has been an exciting adventure.  I survived years of being the bag of resources.  The bag of notes.  The bag of ideas.  And, I survived those years.  I am now near work tote retirement.  I can only hope I am lucky enough to be turned into a beach bag.


Looking back I have fond memories of living the life of a work tote.  In the factory rumor had it I might be used as a grocery bag, but gross food juice on me was less than appealing.  I also heard I could be a diaper bag- no thanks.  I was grateful when I was given as a work tote.   What could be wrong with carrying books?  


I was given to a woman who was about to leave the classroom.  She was a bottle of mixed emotions.  She absolutely loved teaching 8th grade literacy.  When she switched from teaching high school to middle school she was so excited.  Something about those middle school students hooked her.  She enjoyed diving into the world of young adult books with her students and sharing her passion for reading.  She loved coming up with new ideas to keep her students engaged in literacy, and most importantly she loved seeing the group of new faces that entered her classroom each year.  The bonds that developed over their nine months together were irreplaceable.  The excitement as they prepared to go to high school and the tears and nervousness on the last day of 8th grade were always milestones she embraced for the connections that developed between her and her students were unmistakable.  


As she finished her masters in reading she knew she wanted to be a literacy coach.  She loved working with other teachers.  She enjoyed sharing her ideas and listening to other teachers’ thoughts.  She hoped she could share her knowledge to help students in all subject areas.  An opportunity came up to be a literacy coach in her current building and another building.  This was what she wanted- a middle school literacy coach opportunity.  The opportunity was there and she had to go for it.  When she found out she got the job she was so excited. This was what she wanted  The nervousness, the fears, and the sadness of leaving the classroom were mixing in her bottle of happiness though .  But she knew this was what she wanted to do.  She wanted to make a difference in new ways.


And this was when she started filling me with books, notes, ideas, hopes, and goals.  This was where I started my job with her as she entered her new role as a literacy coach.   


Biography:



Heather Zimmerman is starting her first year as a literacy coach at the middle school level in the Oshkosh Area School District.  She taught sophomore English,  mass media, and journalism at the high school level for three years.  She then spent three years teaching eighth grade literacy.  Heather received her bachelors from UW-Green Bay and is currently finishing her masters at UW-Oshkosh.  She lives in Appleton with her husband, who is a principal.  They both feel strongly about the importance of a quality education so all children can succeed.  When they are not working they enjoy traveling and sporting events.  Heather also loves to find time to enjoy a good book, go to a yoga class, or complete one of her many sewing/crocheting/craft projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. Your comment will appear after approval by this blog's editor.