Wednesday, September 2, 2015

What Are You Reading: Summer 2015

Alternately Titled:

My Summer Reading Slump
The Time I Hated All the Books
Abandoners Anonymous



We usually start each month around here by talking about what we've been reading (see previous posts here). Usually, reader, we treat you to a variety of titles from each contributor. Today, you're stuck with me.

This fall, I’m looking forward to hot coffee, cardigans, boots and tights, and crunchy leaves. I’m also looking forward to curling up under a blanket and reading all of something I cannot wait to tell my friends glowing things about.

It's been a rough summer for me as a reader. I haven't finished much, and I haven't read anything I'm crazy about. I'm not sure what happened. Maybe I didn't slow down enough to read? Maybe I couldn't find the right thing? Maybe it was because my book club took a hiatus? Maybe this happens every summer?

I do a monthly subscription to Audible; I log many, many miles each month. I tried Behind the Beautiful Forevers, The Bedwetter, Go Set a Watchman, and Modern Romance. I begrudgingly finished Go Set a Watchman. I enjoyed parts of Modern Romance tremendously. I'm still listening and laughing aloud to The Bedwetter. I don't think I'll ever finish Behind the Beautiful Forevers.

I can usually find young adult books that hold my attention, but there wasn't much of that this summer either. I finished Personal Effects, a Read On Wisconsin selection and something my book club read. It wasn't my favorite. I abandoned Fangirl. I wanted to like it - I just couldn't get into the fan fiction parts and didn't find myself getting attaching to the characters.

I'm still reading All the Light You Cannot See. It's been months, friends. Months. It's beautiful writing and a captivating story. I just can't do more than a couple short chapters at a time.

So - that leaves Just Mercy and Spinster. They're sitting next to my bed or hanging out in my purse because they're what I'm reading now. I have high hopes that these two are the books that will end my slump.

What did you enjoy reading this summer? What are you reading now?

You can learn more about me as a reader by visiting my Goodreads profile.











No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. Your comment will appear after approval by this blog's editor.