Wednesday, September 9, 2015

A Favorite Picture Book




We have a very small amount of time with each of our students. I'll be the first to say that time needs to be intentionally and thoughtfully utilized. Sometimes, though, we just need to read a book together. 

In my middle school classroom, a few minutes of September 11 were, traditionally, set aside for just that purpose - reading a book together.

I gathered students together to read The Man Who Walked Between the Towers, Mordicai Gerstein's 2003 award-winning biography of Philippe Petit - a French man who walked on a tightrope between New York City's World Trade Center towers in 1974, not because it is a unique mentor text or because I wanted to teach students about plot or because I wanted to model visualization. 

I gathered students together to read The Man Who Walked Between the Towers because I believe sharing a story is a powerful way to build community and to connect and to remember.

What texts would you include in a text set about the events of September 11, 2001?

Related texts:
Philippe Petit, High Wire Artist

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. Your comment will appear after approval by this blog's editor.