Wednesday, September 23, 2015

What I Want to Read

I wrote not too long ago about being in a reading slump. I still haven't completely snapped out of it, but I do have plenty of titles waiting for when I'm ready to start reading again.

I use Goodreads to track what I've read, am reading, and want to read. I often find myself opening the app and adding titles to my "To Read" shelf as I'm talking with friends or at professional learning events. 



That "To Read" shelf has 400+ titles right now. Here are eight that I picked to share.


  1. Awakened: Change Your Mindset to Change Your Teaching. I realized when I looked through my "To Read" that I don't often mark professional books. Most of my list is personal reading, so this one stood out.
  2. The Things They Carried. I wish there was a sub-category of my "To Read" list entitled "Things I Really Should Have Read in High School".
  3. Both Ways is the Only Way I Want It. This was recommended to me by a colleague who used to walk down the hall from me. He is a social studies teacher, but we shared a book brain. I never read one of his recommendations that I didn't enjoy.
  4. I Don't Know: In Praise of Admitting Ignorance. I was surprised and intrigued to see this on my "To Read" shelf. I have no idea how it made it there, but I'm definitely interested.



  1. Between the World and Me. I added this one (and ordered it!) recently. I'm interested in it because of the social justice component; it seems like a nice companion to Just Mercy (something else I'm reading right now).
  2. Crucial Conversations. I have lots of tough conversations in my professional life. I need to work more on tough conversations in my personal life. Maybe this will help?
  3. Infinite Home. Confession: I judge books by their covers. The description of this one sounds great, too. I particularly enjoy books with lots of characters with seemingly random connections.
  4. StuckThis made my list because I wanted to remember it as something that could be included as a read aloud in a professional learning session - something that would spark the heart of those who might be resistant to change.
What's on your "To Read" shelf?


(Photo collages made using PiZap.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. Your comment will appear after approval by this blog's editor.