Monday, September 14, 2015

I Used to Think - Now I Think: Culturally Responsive Practice

The Literacy Booth had a series of posts in our early days entitled "I Used to Think - Now I Think." The posts were modeled after essays in which education scholars' summarized their changing thinking about school reform.

I will use that then/now format to talk about some aspects of my continuing journey to be a culturally responsive person.

I used to think. . . 

  • I used to think culturally responsive practice was something educators did - a series of strategies that educators and schools could use to ensure all students felt safe and valued in school.
  • I used to think culturally responsive practice was synonymous with multiculturalism or diversity.
Now I think. . . 
  • Cultural responsiveness is something individuals and organizations develop through an on-going process that begins with careful (and sometimes painful) examination of beliefs.
  • Cultural responsiveness is about windows and mirrors; it's about understanding ourselves (mirrors) and others (windows).
  • Cultural responsive practices include the ability to notice and respond to what the person in front of you cares about, needs, and wants. (Thanks for Dr. Carol Lee for this wisdom.)
What has pushed and changed my thinking?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. Your comment will appear after approval by this blog's editor.