Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Who inspires/inspired me?

Today's post is brought to you by Penny Antell.

Who inspires/inspired me?

The list goes on and on. While I’m confident there is no way I will be able to name all who have inspired me, this represents an attempt to recognize those who have, over my career, influenced my journey.

It all began with my older sister, Jackie, who used to love to play school when we were children.  She required her students, aka siblings, to call out their names when an answer was known.  I consistently failed in her eyes since I refused, to raise my hand and yell out my own name before answering her probing questions.  She taught me to be fair, to make the rules and stick to them, and to love reading and writing as she shared her passion for these subjects with me.  How strange it is that she has become an accountant while I am the one teaching literacy.

Thanks to James Zeeb, my high school Accounting teacher who slipped a disk in his back many, many years ago while I was earning credit as a teaching assistant in his accounting classroom as a senior.  Having the opportunity to teach the Accounting classes while he was in traction at the hospital created the spark to teach.  Though this would not develop into a full flame until four years later as I initially understood this to mean I should be going on to school for accounting.  How silly.  Numbers have always caused me great grief.

My grandmother, who upon discovering I was in college said, nearly every time I saw her, stick to it Penny, never give up this dream.  After graduation, seeing the proud smile upon her face inspired me to continue along my journey earning a Master’s degree in Reading.  Once again, the pride she felt exuded from her beaming face.  When I graduated with my Ed.S. degree in Administration, while just a proud as could be, she assured me I did not need to continue on this journey any farther.  I could rest now.  My grandmother has since passed on, but I have continued my journey and am currently on hold with my ABD at UALR in the area of Reading.  Thanks goes to my grandmother for her encouragement and belief in me.

Kathy Koch, the professor of my Reading Education courses.  Inspired me to reach each student I met.  See each child as an individual and discover how to reach them so they’ll choose to become the best they can be and will develop a love for learning.

Virgie Hartman, the other second classroom grade teacher at Lincoln Elementary - my first teaching job.  Thanks to you for all your words of wisdom and great patience as I grew in the position of teacher.  You were always there to calm my grandiose ideas and to encourage me to continually appreciate the statements students made, digging deeper to value the thinking behind their comments.

Mike Ford, Professor at UW Oshkosh.  What can I say?  Your love of literacy is contagious.  If not for the learning in your courses, I would not be where I am today.  Thanks for your writings, your research, and your “FUN” personality.  May you continue to support the educational endeavors of many more students throughout your career.

My many, many students.  Thanks to each and every child who has crossed my path.  You have taught me so much with each unique challenge I’ve faced, you’ve taught me how to help you by responding to specific instruction and sometimes to the lack of specificity allowing me to learn how to meet your needs.  Each individual challenge has caused me to dig deeper, search farther and continually learn to meet your needs. If you were not learning, I realized this meant I was not meeting your needs and it was my responsibility to continually search for just the right type of service to provide.  Where would I be without you to continually inspire me to learn, search, research, and apply my learning?

Linda Dorn and Carla Soffos - if it weren’t for the two of you, I would not have become involved in Literacy Coaching.  Your belief in others and continual, constant, driven desire to understand deeply the underpinnings of literacy, people, relationships, and theory have morphed into a movement we lovingly refer to as the Partnership in Comprehensive Literacy or the Comprehensive Literacy Model.  You’ve changed my life and the lives of my students through your great wisdom.

My Pastor, Greg Schmidt, you have challenged me in ways that have caused me to grow as a Christian.  This impacts all areas of my life leading to stronger relationships and far greater ethics.  Thank you for continually teaching me about God’s word.  You’ve inspired me to become a better person.

My family. You’ve continued to be patient and understanding through the many years of coursework I’ve attended and/or taught over the years.  You’ve endured hours of planning and preparing, you’ve participated in many experiments over the years and listened to story after story - hardships and laughs alike.  Each time you listen with attentive ears and eyes, you inspire me to listen to my students as closely and remind me to learn from each of them.

My husband.  Wow, without your support I could not have reached the level of learning nor professionalism I am currently experiencing.  You’ve been there during the hard times, fun times, sad times, and times of great success.  Thank you.

Each year I choose a theme for my Reading Team of teachers. My theme, coincidentally, this year was “Inspire, Be Inspired.”  We each need to go forward to inspire others who cross our paths by shining the light for others to follow or by allowing the light to create a path for them to lead with.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. Your comment will appear after approval by this blog's editor.