Friday, December 20, 2013

Blondes Have More Fun

Today's post is brought to you by Bobbi Campbell.

Ann Kerkenbush, Brenda Berg, Georgie Rattan, the four blondes (plus me makes four) as we were referred to many times, but mostly by one another, are truly people you want to know if you want to know something about education, or if you just need a little fun in your life. These fine ladies spanned multiple generations and shared many character traits; they mothered, disciplined, educated,  and maneuvered seamlessly solving  one disaster after another.  All this and more in this ever changing educational landscape, and they did it  with flair and style. I have never yearned to be a writer, but I have never felt such desire to gain access to the right words and phrases to describe these ladies, my mentors.

I would be remiss if I did not share just a few moments into the lives of these strong women.  Ann Kerkenbush was a teacher of English Literature, dedicated to the profession, even more dedicated to the students she served. She still visits a former student who, unfortunately is currently residing atTaycheda Correctional Institution.

Brenda Berg was a music teacher, a profoundly good singer with a flair for life and style anyone would envy. She could get the most resistant student believing they could sing, and by gosh when she was done with them, they could.

Georgie Rattan was one of the first women in the African Peace Core. A teacher that taught me how to teach kids first, not content. A teacher who knew that writers are within everyone- and she always knew how to find ways to motivate and enrich   - I love her and so did all of her students.

I am not a lucky person, but I believe I was fortunate when when I had the opportunity to be mentored by these three fabulous ladies.  I am the teacher and coach today because these fine mentors took the time and patience refining my skills and ensuring that I , too might know a portion of what they had procured over the years. A mere thank you is not enough, but know that no matter how much knowledge and talent you possess, no matter how many students you have had an impact on or how much educational prowess you possess, mentoring a young person to repeat the cycle is a true measure of success and one that extends far beyond the four walls of a mere classroom.

So, I challenge the gurus of education - the Fishers, the Wiggins, the Wolfes, whom have you mentored lately?  Whom will you choose to coach?

And by the way, I do believe that blondes do have more fun...just ask Brenda, Ann, or Georgie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. Your comment will appear after approval by this blog's editor.