Wednesday, December 11, 2013

A Note Of Gratitude

Today's post is brought to you by Carrie.

To My Students:


During the season when gratitude is in the forefront of minds and blessings are being counted around the table in homes, I would like to take the time to express my thankfulness to the people who have had the single most inspiration in my professional life: my students. I can think of no better time and opportunity to share my gratitude with the group of students I have had the pleasure of working with during my last twelve years of teaching. For the reasons below (and so many more), thank you!


Thank you to the students who have taught me patience and tolerance. You are the students who may have caused me the most gray hairs, but forced me to learn to manage a classroom, challenged me to find the most engaging teaching techniques, and shown me that not everyone views the world in the same way. Because of you, I am a better educator.


Thank you to the students who help me keep the “small” things in perspective. You are the students who may have missing work or assignments because you have to worry about finding warm clothes for the winter, taking care of your brothers and sisters, or working a 40 hour job in addition to the hours you spend at school. Because of you, I am cognizant and thankful of the gifts in my own life and realize that so many of you sit in my room with a story I can only imagine.


Thank you to the students who allow me to share in your own joy and successes. You are the students who run in my room to tell me about the first “A” in Math all semester, the acceptance letter to your first choice college, or your lead in the school musical. Because of you, I smile a little wider or walk a little lighter throughout the day.


Finally, thank you to the former students who reach out to me after they have left the hallways of high school and are finding their own way in the world. You are the students who have given me the honor of hearing about your college struggles and successes, invited me to your wedding, stopped to talk to me when you see me at a Badger or Packer game, emailed me about your new job, asked me to write a letter of recommendation, or sent me a Christmas card. Because of you, I know fulfillment that I can’t envision in any other career.


All in all, I could only hope to return half of the wonderful gifts you have blessed me with in my career.  I look forward to many more years.


With my most sincere gratitude,
Ms. Sand

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. Your comment will appear after approval by this blog's editor.