Friday, December 6, 2013

1 Cup Coaching + 1 Cup Leadership = Amazing Mentors

Today's post is brought to you by Heather Zimmerman.

1 Cup Coaching + 1 Cup Leadership = Amazing Mentors

There has been two pivotal people that played a role in shaping me into who I am as an educator the past six years.  Julie Mosher has been my assistant principal and my principal.  She has shaped my perspective on how to be a leader. Jenny Thompson, my peer coach, has helped me grow as a literacy teacher and literacy coach.  Their guidance has been the key to helping me grow into the educator I am now.

Here are qualities I admire in these two ladies, and I know others do too.

Qualities in Jenny’s Coaching
  • Coaching knowledge:  Jenny always knew when I needed advice, resources, or someone to listen.  She has a good read on people, which makes efficient use of coaching time.
  • Valuable resources:  She gives practical tools and advice that can be used right away in the classroom or in my literacy coach role.  I think it is so important for coaches to give a manageable amount of tools or advice that can easily be used.  Overwhelming someone with resources or knowledge is never helpful.
  • Do I Really Have to Teach Reading  By: Cris Tovani - A resource Jenny recommended when I entered the world of literacy coaches.  It was a great reminder of a wonderful resource that really looks at solid tier 1 instruction.  
  • Reading beliefs:  Jenny is a strong believer of reaching all children in the classroom.  She finds it critical that all content-areas embrace literacy.  One of many things she finds importance in is that teachers work with readers to set a purpose and show students multiple ways to hold their thinking while they read.  Then teachers should determine what students will do with the knowledge they gathered while reading, whether that is something with writing or discussion.    

Qualities in Julie’s Leadership
  • Wealth of knowledge:  Julie loves data and her knowledge from sifting through data shows.  She also is up-to-date on research and shares what she reads.  Before she makes a decision you can see the wheels turning and she can always back up her decisions with well developed thoughts and/or research.  
  • Transforming Classroom Grading By: Robert Marzano- A resource Julie recommended me and my co-teacher to look at when we were wondering how we benchmark grade some of students with learning disabilities who received substantial assistance.
  • Involvement:  Not only staff, but students and parents noticed Julie’s presence in the school when she was principal.  She was in the hallways, available to listen to staff, and attended many after-school events.  People knew the school and staff mattered to her. 
  • Attitude:  She not only has a positive attitude, but staff appreciate her calm manner she has when dealing with situations.  She is also always fair and open-minded to all student and staff ideas.

Both of these ladies shaped me into the educator I am today.  I am so grateful for their guidance and support.  And I know their mentoring will continue to be a recipe for success as I continue down my career path.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. Your comment will appear after approval by this blog's editor.