Friday, February 12, 2016

Focused Classroom Visits---An Additional Opportunity for Quality Professional Development


Professional development opportunities usually make me think of inservice days, attending conferences, or participating in book clubs. While the benefits to good professional development is undeniable, the problem usually lies in the factor of time. Most teachers want to continue their own professional learning, but struggle with being out of the classroom too many days to attend a conference; other times professional development is thrust upon us in a way that doesn’t feel relevant or timely.  In an effort to explore different options for professional learning and growth with the teachers in my district, I began thinking about ways to organize and set-up Focused Classroom Visits.

Focused Classroom Visits are opportunities that I organize as a literacy coach for teachers to observe one another’s classroom. These observations are structured, purposeful, and positive. They never involve evaluation of one another or usually even feedback. Instead they are observations meant to act as a springboard for conversations. They may include opportunities to witness specific routines, procedures, or instructional practices; they may help a teacher learn about literacy expectations in grades prior to or following their own classrooms; they may even be used as a reflection tool for teachers on their own classroom techniques.  In all cases, however, the Focused Classroom Visits provide teachers with learning opportunities that promote collaboration, partnerships, and common understandings.

As the coach, I work to set up the logistics of the Focused Classroom Visits. First, I try to be very transparent about the entire process. I want both the observed and observing teacher to feel comfortable and understand the purpose behind the classroom visits. I try to communicate as much about the process  to enhance everyone’s overall level of comfort. Secondly,  I am always on the look out for best practices and individual strengths in a variety of classrooms. By knowing my teachers’ areas of strengths, I am better equipped to make classroom visit recommendations.  The relationships that I work to build also ensure that teachers are willing to open their doors to other teachers. Once a visit is initiated, I work to organize a schedule for when teachers can visit other classrooms. Usually, visiting teachers go during a prep period; I also try to attend the visit with the teacher if possible. Prior to the visit, I meeting with both teachers to highlight the purpose of the visit, establish a specific focus for what we are observing, and plan for a common way to record our observations. I have a simple form that we are sometimes able to use and sometimes not, depending on what we are looking for. After the observation occurs, I set up a debrief session. This session may or may not include the observed teacher, once again depending on the purpose. The debrief session always focuses on what are the “next steps” for the observing teacher and myself. These debriefing conversations tend to be the most productive in terms of promoting action.  

Focused Classroom Visits have allowed me to promote collegiality and learning among teachers within our own school district. For years as a coach, I have been able to see the great things happening in a variety of classrooms. Focused Classroom Visits allow me to have other teachers witness the great things going on in our classrooms. This interaction empowers us as literacy leaders and works to positively promote our literacy vision within the district as a whole. In addition, I’ve found these type of observations tend to feel less threatening for both the observed and observing teacher.

With correct implementation, Focused Classroom Visits can promote a common literacy scope and sequence for all stakeholders within the district, strengthen leadership across multiple grade levels, and empower teachers to open their doors to other teachers. For these reasons, I have found Focused Classroom Visits to be a strong additional professional development option for teachers in my district.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. Your comment will appear after approval by this blog's editor.