Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Comprehension Focus Groups: Using Reciprocal Teaching within the CFG

Heather Zimmerman contributed this post. Click here for more of Heather's thinking about comprehension focus groups.

October 2015 Hot Topics at UW-Oshkosh had Lori Oczkus as a keynote speaker.  After hearing her passionately talk about different strategies during her keynote, I was hooked and decided to stay for a session she had about reciprocal teaching.  I had heard of reciprocal teaching, but never implemented it in my classroom.  But after hearing Oczkus talk about the power of reciprocal teaching, I knew I had to implement it in my next Comprehension Focus Group (CFG).




I thought my 7th grade group would benefit from Reciprocal Teaching the most.  I decided to use a graphic organizer- though she showed us this cool way to tear paper and use a sheet of paper.  I opted for a bit more writing space for my middle school students.  This was used during the informative unit where my students did some reading on the Middle Ages (before they started in social studies class).  




Oczkus talked a lot about puppets for the different roles, which I did not think my middle school students would find “cool”. I did use the Quincy the Questioner idea though- without the puppets.  My middle school students seemed to enjoy the idea of quizzing their friends.  


I thought using Reciprocal Teaching was effective in the CFG.  It provided an opportunity to review summary writing, and also through the “Clarifying” component, students were able to capture questions they still had for further research in phase 3 of the CFG.  

For those of you who are using CFGs, what graphic organizers or strategies have you found success with?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Heather! I discovered the power of Reciprocal Teaching last year when doing tier 3 interventions with high school students. My colleague and I developed this graphic organizer if you'd like to try it out :) Thanks for writing about it and sharing your graphic organizer--what a great tool!

    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WW66A_3WYZ_V5AfFILFBA11UdzrEjDLeyq_8XDcsH-OOsVbI3Innf8r1ZDh9lsH9jUgghE2WxWKmQ8wF/view?usp=sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing Meghan!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated. Your comment will appear after approval by this blog's editor.