Tuesday, October 8, 2013

The Coach-Administrator Role


Today's post is brought to you by Heather Zimmerman.

Producers know that storylines about a boss/employee relationship can lead to good drama and comedy.  If you watch The Big Bang Theory, you have seen the far from ideal relationship Sheldon and Dr. Gablehauser’s shared, though Sheldon’s mother would not argue about it.  Miranda Priestly in The Devil Wears Prada was far from an easy boss to work for.  And then there is the world of Sterling Cooper and Partners in Mad Men, which highlights a whole business world of people trying to be in charge and work with each other.  


In the real world of work though, employees would rather leave the drama out of their job.  Having a strong relationship with principals is key for literacy coaches.  I was lucky when I started this role, because I knew both of the principals I work with.  Here are a few tips I find important for literacy coaches:


  • Clearly define role- When I was hired I made sure I had a good grasp on what my role included.  I wanted to make sure that not only the teaching staff understood my role, but also the principal and I were on the same page.  I also wanted to be clear that I am not an evaluator.  I do not think this issue would ever come up with the principals I work with, but I feel it is important that teachers do not see me as an evaluator.  To continue to be welcome in classrooms as a teacher and a coach, it is important that teachers feel they can trust me and that I am not there to judge.  That is what keeps the classroom doors open, and both of my principals understand that.
  • Honesty- If I am not sure of something I make sure to be upfront about it.  But, if I do not know something I make sure to find answer.  This also includes being honest if there is an issue not agreed upon.  It is important to have that conversation together right away, so issues can be addressed.  
  • Prioritize and Step up- Literacy coaches sometimes get the freedom to plan and prioritize their schedules.  This should be done thoughtfully, so coaches are always working in the best interest of students, teachers, and the school’s goals.  Also, if there is something that needs to be done, stepping up to help out is important.  It is necessary that literacy coaches play an active role in the school.  But it is also important to notice how full the plate is getting.  I would not want to take something on that I cannot follow through on.
  • Teamwork- Working together on projects is important.  That way everyone can share input and be apart of the goal.  I think it is important that even though something might be literacy focused, the principal and others on the team, all work together.  One important side note is that the principal and literacy coach are a team.  Sometimes, literacy coaches might feel they are the only one on their team, but literacy coaches are actually on a lot of different teams in the school.  It is important literacy coaches do not put down any of their team members.  That can quickly burn a lot of bridges.   

Both principals and literacy coaches play an important part in schools.  It is essential that both are working together and pulling in the same direction, and the drama can be left for the storylines.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. Your comment will appear after approval by this blog's editor.