Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Building Relationships with Principals

Today's post is brought to you by Bobbi Campbell.



As I began to think of ideas for this blog post, I struggled to choose an approach that would speak to readers.  My first idea was to write about the twelve principals I work with, comparing each one to a well-known cartoon character. The idea was to highlight their strengths as an instructional leader, while comparing them to the trait of the carefully chosen character.  I knew I was doomed from the start when my first cartoon character I chose was Homer Simpson.  No matter how much I love Homer, I am not sure it would send the right message. Therefore, I began thinking about other ways to write about the complexities of building relationships with principals – especially when there are twelve of them.
First, I started my walk down memory lane thinking about all the principals I have worked with as teacher and now coach. Why did I have a better relationship with _________ than I did with ___________.  I began to wonder about the commonalities among the principals of whom I forged strong relationships.  What was it about them that so many people, including me, felt it easy to build and keep productive and beneficial relationships with the leader of the building?
I cannot move forward without mentioning my very first principal, Vincent Maloney. We still exchange holiday cards, even though we have not worked together in over 18 years. He no longer serves in this grand profession but will always hold a special place in my heart and has definitely made a lasting impression on my approach to building relationships with principals.  Unfortunately, he spoiled me for all the rest…
The qualities he possessed made it easy to build a strong professional and productive relationship.  He shared many characteristics outlined in an article by GreatSchools, 2013.
1. Great principals take responsibility for school success.
Vince Maloney knew how to do this, while making everyone in the building responsible, too.

2. Great principals lead teaching and learning.

This was not his strength so he relied on key staff that could help him lead.   
3. Great principals hire, develop, and retain excellent teachers.
I think this was his strongest asset as a building leader. He empowered his teachers and coaches in the building to lead and be instructional leaders whenever he could.
4. Great principals build a strong school community.
Vince knew that building a strong school community meant he had to have relationships with his teachers.  He was invested in knowing his staff personally as well as professionally.  He knew that by doing this, he would build safety and trust within his staff so that he could have the hard conversations.  It was always a problem/solution based conversation.
So how does sharing my story help guide other coaches in developing relationships with principals?
I believe knowing how your principal sees himself or herself, regarding the four characteristics mentioned, will help guide you to a reciprocal and productive relationship. Reciprocal in respect, but also trust – the foundation of leadership that fosters growth in staff and students.
Depending on your situation, you might come right out and ask your principal’s opinion about the four characteristics every good principal share; however, most of us will not feel comfortable handing our principal a piece of paper outlining the four characteristics. Personally, I like the direct route, but I have found that is like playing Russian Roulette– some respond favorably, and some need a little more time to adjust to a 5”2  energetic (some say overly enthusiastic) short lady with attitude.
Instead, the more reasonable of us will have to take the other route – be patient and collect data as you observe your principal in action.  Use the characteristics as a guideline for collecting data to be used as a catalyst to spark conversations.  Knowing how he or she sees himself or herself as leader, will help you understand how your principal sees you as instructional coach in your building.  Ultimately, this will guide your work together, creating a true learning community.  
My repertoire of skills has hit an occasional brick wall. I am having a bit of bad luck with two of the twelve principals I work with, so I challenge you, readers, to share your trick, approach, or magic of how you successfully won over YOUR Principal Ed Rooney (Principal in Ferris Buehler’s Day Off).
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. Your comment will appear after approval by this blog's editor.