Monday, October 26, 2015

Setting Norms

Meghan Retallick contributed today's post.

keep-calm-and-follow-the-norms-3.png

Maybe I missed an important piece of information along the way, but it was seven years into my career as an educator before I attended a meeting where norms were set.  Why is this?  

Is it because, as adults, we assume that we already know the standards and expectations of working as a team?

Is it because we are teachers that constantly ask high standards of our students during collaboration, so naturally we know them in our own collaborative settings?

Is it because it is uncomfortable to suggest that our colleagues’ behaviors would take away from the effectiveness of a meeting?

I’m still not sure why my previous experiences didn’t include norms for the teams on which I was a member, but I do know now that the process of setting norms is essential for effective teamwork.  

First, for those of you that may be feeling as clueless as I was about this, Webster’s dictionary defines a norm as “a principle of right action binding upon the members of a group and serving to guide, control, or regulate proper and acceptable behavior.”  Knowing the expectations is something that all of us enjoy.  Whenever I am asked to participate on a team or group, knowing the purpose and what to expect from my fellow team members makes me a more comfortable, confident, and productive participant.

So what does this mean for teams in school settings?

I’ve recently attended two meetings: one where norms were written by the facilitator  and one where norms were set with all group members having input.

For the sake of time, I won’t go into the details about each meeting, but I’d like to help give you insight to the atmosphere of each by sharing their norms:

Meeting #1 (facilitator determined norms):  
  1. Timekeeper will notify the facilitator when it is time to move to the next agenda item.
  2. Keep conversations related to the current topic.

Meeting #2 (team determined norms):
  1. Problem Solving Conversations/Focus
  2. Active Participation
  3. Be Positive
  4. Outcome Oriented
  5. Build Trusting Relationships

Just from looking at the norms, which meeting would you rather attend?

For me, Meeting #2 is the team I can’t wait to work with again!  The process they used for determining their really impressive norms is a protocol called “Affinity Mapping” created by the National School Reform Faculty (NSRF).  The basics of the protocol are that each team member individually brainstorms ideas for norms on sticky notes.  Then the sticky notes are posted on the wall for all to look at.  In silence, team members categorize like sticky notes/ideas.  The team then determines the norms from those categories.

Find this protocol and more on the NSRF website.  (Shout out to Casey Gretzinger at CESA 9 for introducing me to this resource and the power of norms!)

And so, my great take away for the week is that the process of setting norms is just as important as the norms themselves.  Using a protocol like Affinity Mapping begins the process of building trust in the team because all members can share their thoughts in a safe way.  Purpose is set, along with guidelines and expectations for team behaviors, and ownership is built from the very first team activity.  

What are the “must haves” for effective teamwork on your norm list?

1 comment:

Comments are moderated. Your comment will appear after approval by this blog's editor.