Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Confessions of a Learner

Andrea Reichenberger contributed today's post.

When given a choice, we often prefer to live and make decisions that keep us within our comfort zone. After working in one school district for over 17 years, I was offered a position with another. There were several factors that led me down this path, but ultimately I made the decision in an effort to force myself out of my comfort zone and to challenge myself to grow from this new endeavor. So far, my plan is working. :) You will probably hear a lot about this over the course of this blogging year!

But as I reflect back on my past experiences and use them to connect with my new experiences, I realize how often I had to encounter discomfort and embrace it in order to learn from it.  I wouldn't be where I am today without those feelings and challenges.  It's humbling and I'm almost ashamed to admit where I used to be in some of my thinking and mindset and I am going to confess them for all of the world to see.  I hope my reflections on my own growth will help provide that little push for my fellow educators.  

I used to...
Now...
be scared of any type of diversity in my classroom.  This included special education students, English language learners and students of any color. Born and raised in small town Wisconsin, I hadn’t met a single person who wasn’t Caucasian until I was a sophomore in high school.
I am passionate about learning and doing what is best for ALL of our kids. I have worked with a students who provide a wide variety of backgrounds, cultures, and experiences.  I truly believe that every student can learn and have been witness to it.  Over the years, I also came to the realization that teaching shouldn’t be all about ME, it’s about THE STUDENTS  and what they need. In order to be a better teacher, I had to set aside my ego and admit that I had a lot to learn. I began reading and seeking out professional conversations with those whom I trusted and obviously knew more than I did.  There is no shame in asking questions. We need to model ourselves as learners for our students.
not worry about how to meet the needs of ALL of my students.  If my Hispanic students didn’t understand what I was teaching, it was a language issue and since these students didn’t speak the language I was teaching in--there was nothing I could do, right? If I had a special education student in my class, it was the special education teacher’s job to teach that student.  If no one was holding me accountable, what difference did it make?
I have learned that if a student is literate in his or her own language, he/she can be literate in another.  It takes patience, time and a little extra preparation when thinking through our learning purposes and assessments.  There are no “my students” and “your students’ there are only OUR students. Planning is the key, but you have to know the purpose behind everything you are doing and why you are having students doing it.  We must make accommodations and modifications and put scaffolds in place so that all students can reach the target. And yes, we may have to assess those students a little bit differently.
not speak my truth.  I didn’t like to take risks and I wasn’t always honest about my thoughts, feelings, and opinions.  I often said what I perceived my colleagues or administrators wanted to hear.  
I know that if I don't ask the tough questions or have those crucial conversations, change cannot happen. I probably don't always use the best approach and maybe I'm not always right, but I’ve learned from these experiences and will continue to improve my skills.
not worry about what the data says.
I recognize the importance of data but also have to remain cognizant of the balance required in how we use it. We cannot make excuses for what it tells us though.
believe it was okay to just “wing it.”
I realize how not okay it really is. Many of us complain about the little amount of time we already have with our students.  Every minute of learning should count and students know when they are getting fluff. This is how teachers get a bad rap.  We need to take control of the narrative of teachers as professionals and administrators as instructional leaders.
not know what I didn't know.
I know and I continue to make sure that I know. I collaborate, I read, I attend conferences, I participate in Twitter chats, and webinars. I seek out opportunities to connect with my educational colleagues all around the world, but most importantly, those who are down the hall or just a building or district away!
see my student through only one lens--my lens.
I have learned that we cannot pigeon hole students based on who WE think they are or who WE think they should be. No student is any ONE thing.


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for being vulnerable with us, Andrea. I've had so many of those mindset changes myself, and we cannot grow without this type of deep reflection. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very brave! But I must admit I've held many of these same beliefs and have "come around." Our challenge is to lead others down the same path.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated. Your comment will appear after approval by this blog's editor.