Wednesday, June 1, 2016

What Are You Reading: June 2016

We believe it is important for educators to be readers and writers, so every month we take a day to report out on what we're reading. Join in by sharing your current reading list in the comments.


Maggie says, "I'm working my way through Challenger Deep and it's interesting to follow as the main character Caden suffers from mental illness. In this book, his perspective frequently shifts between his real life paranoia and compulsive pacing to a world where he is a crew member on a ship that is headed toward the Challenger Deep, the ocean's deepest trench. Provoking increasing concern from his teachers, parents, and friends, Caden retreats further into his own world as his own paranoia grows."

Jaimie is reading A Guide to the Reading Workshop: Primary and Intermediate Grades by Lucy Calkins. Jaimie says, "I read the Writer's Workshop version of this resource and it was so helpful, so I will be reading the Reading Workshop version this summer as I prepare for my district's roll-out next fall. So excited. :)"

Andrea is reading Katherine Bomer's The Journey is Everything. Andrea says, "It was just published and I haven't truthfully started it yet.  It 'emphasizes teaching the essay as a way to restore writing to think--that is necessary for students success in college and career'. It was recommended to me by Carrie Sand.  I'm excited to start it!"

Maggie is also reading The Last Book in the Universe by Rodman Philbrick. She says, "This is a fun and engaging science fiction book that I'm currently reading with my students as we finish the school year. Earlier in the year we read Freak the Mighty and the students are able to make several connections between the two books."


Lisa is reading, The Power of Grammar: Unconventional Approaches to the Conventions of Language by Mary Ehrenworth and Vicki Vinton. Lisa writes, "When I met Mary Ehrenworth, I knew I had to pick up this book because she clearly understands the transformative powers  workshop holds, and I had to know how she blends the teaching of grammar into workshop.  Love it! She talks about how grammar is tied to the culture of power, and how we would be wise to teach it as it relates to meaning and voice."

Barb is reading Dumplin' by Julie Murphy. She says, "My book club is reading Dumplin' and Fat Angie this month. Both look at issues surrounding body image, particularly for teenage girls."

Barb is also reading A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara. She says, "A few friends have recently read this book and promised it to be devastating and epic. It is. It soooo is. It tells the story of four male friends who met in college. One has serious physical and mental struggles because of a series of accidents throughout his life. The readers slowly learns the details of his story."

Carrie is reading

Collages made with piZap.

2 comments:

  1. Challenger Deep took me quite a while to get into, but I enjoyed it more towards the end as I was able to make more sense out of what was happening.

    I thought Dumplin' was funny and honest and a great read for teens for a variety of reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished "Between the World and Me" by Ta-Nehisi Coates. A very thought provoking read that I highly recommend! It is written in the form of a letter to Coates's 15 year old son.


    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated. Your comment will appear after approval by this blog's editor.