Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Instructional/Literacy/Math Coach

Sharon Seely contributed this post. Click here to read more of Sharon's thinking.





About a month ago a colleague was talking about a new book she was reading with the prompt, On the right bus…in the right seat!.?
A week later on the radio I heard: What will your eulogy contain…thoughts about how you climbed the career ladder, how you made a difference, combination or something totally different?


Then, two weeks ago I was contacted by two districts inquiring about implementing an Instructional Coach into their elementary building.  The possible new coaches to be had a lot of questions and asked me for a pros and cons list.  I started a list and then realized, “these are my pros and cons.”  A pro for me may be a con for them and vise versa. It’s all about perspective.


At this time of year as we contemplate next year, asking the first question, Am I on the right bus…education?  Yes, you are on the right bus.  You do make a difference in the lives of students and their families.  We thank you!


Now, Am I in the right seat…classroom, coach, both?   How does that question strike you?  Are you thinking, ‘Yes, I love what I teach and I want to retire doing what I do now.’ Or are you wondering: Where do I want to be?  What more can I do?


When I first thought about applying for an Instructional Coach position, I googled what did it mean to be an Instructional Coach.  I would say this is the article (published May 11, 2011) that best explains those important things to think about.


Whatever your decision may be…make it your own.  Follow what your heart.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. Your comment will appear after approval by this blog's editor.