Friday, November 20, 2015

Team Personalities

Sharon Seely contributed today's thinking.




Last week, waiting at the copy machine, talking about upcoming meetings with another teacher, I said that at an earlier time in my life, I had chosen to be very quiet and to not contribute to conversations at meetings. The teacher looked at me and said…that’s hard to believe, I can’t see you just sitting there and not saying anything.
I thought, "Wow! I have changed." Years ago, I didn’t contribute because I both feared there would be rebuttal from someone saying I was way off base or didn’t know my material and I questioned my own experience/knowledge.
This prompted me to think about teachers meeting and their sharing with their teams (grade-level, building-level), how are they feeling about sharing?  In the Leadership and Coaching training, I learned about team design. This began with understanding how we all contribute and communicate within a team.
One method is called the True Colors Personality Test.  The True Colors Personality Test is an inventory to help understand your own personality style/type and the personality style/type of your teammates.  This method promotes an appreciation of individual differences and the unique blend of the four styles.  There is no good or bad color and a wide individual variation does exist within each color. At a glance personalities are grouped into four colors:
  • Gold – “Be prepared and organized!”
  • Green – “What’s the Big Picture?
  • Orange – “Just do it!”
  • Blue – “How does that make you feel?”

What can we learn about ourselves and others from this personality test?
  • How we direct our energy
  • How we make a cohesive, effective team
  • How we solve problems
  • How we deal with conflict
  • How we build on strengths
  • How we coach and lead

When we did this at the training, the colleagues I attended with and I were three very different colors/color combinations; blue, gold/green and orange and we continue to function well as a team.

What color are you?  What colors are your teammates?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. Your comment will appear after approval by this blog's editor.