Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Engaging Families

Barb Novak contributed today's post.

I don't have any children. My friends have hoards of them, though, and they are all reaching school age. I get fiercer than I ever would have imagined when I hear about how the kids are doing in school.

Two weeks ago a friend was asking me how her son could be in what his teacher described as the "lowest" reading group but still be meeting expectations for his grade-level.

A week ago a friend asked me why the books her daughter is bringing home are the same level as what she was bringing home in spring.

A few days ago a friend wanted to know my thoughts on having her child independently evaluated for a learning disability.

This has gotten me thinking about how we communicate with families about how we teach and assess reading.

  • How do we communicate about what kids need to learn?
  • How do we communicate about instructional practices?
  • How do we communicate about assessment results?
  • How do we communicate about what families want for their children?
  • How can families ask questions?
I'm curious. How are you engaging families around reading?










No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. Your comment will appear after approval by this blog's editor.