Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Coaching Prompts

Diane Jenquin contributed today's post.

Over the last few years I have been accumulating prompts, and questions to promote reflection that promotes inquiry and to alter the thinking and behaving  that occurs afterward. I do have to admit I do not know where some of these prompts came from, but the important idea is that they are coaching conversation starters.  I have put 2 questions from each on a bookmark to help prompt myself as a coach along with teaching and practicing with others.

My hope for you is to take what you need out of this and run with it.  Happy Coaching, Diane

Asking Open Questions:
  • What might be the best possible ways to…?
  • If you taught this lesson perfectly how would it look?
  • How do you think the lesson went? What happened that caused it to go that way?
  • When you think about what you had planned and what actually happened, what were the similarities and what were the differences?
  • As you think about the results you got, what were some of the ways you designed the lesson to cause them to happen?
  • When you reflect back on the lesson, what might you do differently?
  • What were the strengths of the lesson? What did not work?

Statement of  Ability/. Attitude:
  • I know you have been thinking a lot about this, and I am curious about ….
  • Its obvious you're committed to this.  What are some things you have been doing?
  • As you’ve been thinking about this you probably anticipated…
  • As you test your insights where do you think you start?
  • I don’t have the answer and I’m curious about your...

Paraphrasing Language:
  • Recode and repeat back to the teacher creates conditions for active listening and promotes metacognition.
  • So you're feeling…
  • In other words…
  • Hmm, you're suggesting that…
  • Let me see if I understand: You said…
  • I want to make sure I got all the points ; you said...your noticing that…

Summarize and Organize:

  • So there seems to be 2 key issues here...and…
  • On one hand there is… and on the other hand…

2 comments:

Comments are moderated. Your comment will appear after approval by this blog's editor.