Friday, January 16, 2015

Nurturing Yourself as a Coach

Diane Jenquin contributed today's post.

As I reflect on being a literacy coach and leader thoughts come to mind as to the importance of our well being in order for us to reach out and build relationships with others.
So here is my top 10 list for Nurturing a Literacy Coach:

  • Create your own space and work environment to initiate conversation.  I have a little fountain and relaxing chairs and a lavender scented wax burner.
  • Leave margins in your work schedule. Pencil in time for appointments just for you, 15 minutes here or there.
  • Let go of some responsibility.
  • Recognize your limitations and others strengths and delegate to their strengths. Not everyone is a party planner.
  • Build a positive support system and network.  Relationships, relationships, relationships.
  • Read for fun!
  • Nurture your body. Don’t skip meals. Exercise. (I break this one all the time)
  • Listen to music (Rock out when you need to)
  • Take a nap!
  • Go Home!!!!!!
  • (My eleventh one is shopping therapy if all else fails.)

I know we all are aware that these are important but doing them is not always easy.  


Sometimes we have to rely on our positive support network to remind me of these important steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. Your comment will appear after approval by this blog's editor.