Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Small District + Big Goals

Today's post is contributed by Carrie Sand.

Small District + Big Goals = Varied Roles for a Literacy Coach: 
How to provide effective and efficient coaching when time is tight?


Another school year means tweaks to and changes in my role as a Literacy Coach. Depending on the semester, my work as the District Literacy Coach (4K-12) may also be in addition to teaching classes of intervention and high school English classes. Such is the schedule of a small district employee; no longer does the budget allow for single area experts, but calls for teachers and coaches who are adaptable, flexible, and knowledgeable about best teaching practices for all students.


While I love the wide range of experiences, students, and situations I encounter within the scope of my job, and the mental demands always keep me challenged and sharp, I am constantly think about new and improved ways I can be more effective and efficient as a coach. As I reflect on the upcoming year, I think about goals that will help me continue to develop and grow. This year, these goals include:


  • What formats best allow me to deliver professional development that is meaningful, engaging, and timely?
  • How can I create a system of observation and beneficial feedback when I am limited on time and responsible for a large amount of classrooms?
  • In what ways can I help implement a district-wide standards based universal curriculum, delivered with best instructional practices in literacy, which ensures all students an equitable literacy experience?
  • How can I support the continued development and use of formative and summative data to drive meaningful instructional decisions and intervention options?

Like many, I am striving towards reaching big goals on a small budget (of both time and money)! For this reason, I  am going to spend my year reflecting on effective and efficient coaching practices. Over the course of the year, I invite you along on my journey as I try out new ideas, share successes, and reflect on improvements for next time. I look forward to the adventure ahead.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. Your comment will appear after approval by this blog's editor.