Friday, January 10, 2014

My 2014 Resolution

Today's post is brought to you by Carrie Sand.


In education a new year begins in September, but as the rest of the world sets its new year  (and therefore resolutions) in January, it seems like a good time to reflect on the discoveries of 2013 to help set  2014 resolutions. Like the countdown of the ball dropping on Time’s Square, here is the countdown of my top five learnings… and of course new year goals and resolutions.


5…..
I use to think (maybe hope) that a program could be a cure-all for struggling readers. In 2013 I really learned that when readers struggle, the only cure-all is try, try, and try again. My 2014 resolution for struggling readers is to research as much as I can, apply as many best practices as possible, and keep on trying!


4….
I use to think that teachers didn’t “get on board” with new initiatives because of a lack of motivation. Now, I continue to realize that many teachers resist change for a variety of reasons--often good reasons. Like finding the right strategy to encourage student engagement, as a Literacy Coach my 2014 resolution is to continue to work to find new ways to engage and motivate teachers to develop instructional practices and techniques.


3….
I use to think that assessment was synonymous with test. In 2013, I attended many conferences and developed my own understanding of utilizing formative and summative assessment to engage learners, develop a stronger curriculum, and use data to drive instruction. In 2014, I hope to develop assessment a a fluent part of the curriculum rather than another “thing” teachers try every couple of units.


2….
I use to think that standards were something a teacher consulted when entering curriculum into the district curriculum writing tool. Now I truly live and breathe standards as the starting point for everything. In 2014, I will work to develop “I Can” statements that our students live and breathe as well, and continue to build a deep understanding of the standards for all teachers.


1….
Finally, I use to think differentiation was a “nice to do” option.  Now I realize it is our professional duty as educators to be sure that all students have equal access to proficiency. As difficult as it is, my 2014 goal is to help build a school district that works to meet the needs of all learners. Differentiation is  the only way to provide that equity to every student, every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. Your comment will appear after approval by this blog's editor.