Wednesday, January 8, 2014

I Used to Think. . . Now I Think

I first heard about I Used to Think. . . And Now I Think several years ago. (I marked it as something to come back to, and I didn't make it there until just recently. Sound familiar?) Richard F. Elmore edited this collection of essays about how the thinking of "leading educators" has changed and evolved. Check out Justin Reich's essay about educational technology or Nancy Flanagan's essay about school reform to get a better understanding of the concept. 

Throughout January the coaches of The Literacy Booth will share how their thinking has changed. What did they used to think? What do they think now?

I used to think I needed to leave to learn. I couldn't wait to sign up for the the next workshop or see a speaker. I wrote very detailed sub plans, and then, I hung on the words of experts. I took pages and pages of detailed notes (by hand on a legal pad with my favorite brand of pen). I bought that expert's book from the table in the hallway, returned to my classroom, and did it. The cycle repeated itself when the next opportunity to leave to learn came around. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

And now I turn to my colleagues. Professional learning communities, classroom visits, and coaching have transformed the way I learn. Learning isn't something I leave to do anymore. It's something I'm doing just about every minute of my day through collaborative relationships. 

Don't get me wrong - I still turn to experts and compelling research to push, shape, and change my thinking. I still buy more professional books than any one person could ever read in her lifetime. However, I use that learning in a very different way now. I talk with other people about it, and I'm (sometimes overly) thoughtful about how to incorporate new learning with existing practice. 

What did you used to think? What do you think now?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. Your comment will appear after approval by this blog's editor.