Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Music and Literacy (Part 2)

Sharon Seely contributed this post. Click here to read more of Sharon's thinking.

This past fall one of our district music teachers, Kathy Wacker, attended the American Orff Schulwerk Association National Conference.   When I saw her on her first day back, as I asked, “Hey! how was the conference?” she smiled and excitedly answered, “We need to talk.  I have so much to share with you.” She was so fired up about what she had heard/learned about the correlation between Music and Literacy.  This was the beginning of a learning opportunity.

We have now presented at two district-wide training opportunities for K-8 teachers.  It has been an amazing partnership. I have learned so much from her and she tells me that it goes both ways. 

So, what are we sharing about Music and Literacy…. (Part 2)

Putting new information to music helps students retain the information for years to come through repetition…songs get stuck in our head and those new synapses extend into long-term memory…imprinting the information.  Adding body percussion or other kinesthetic action further cements the new information. 

Sound Stories are a great way to introduce new vocabulary, improve fluency and engage students. Sound Stories contain highlighted vocabulary words represented by sound options, chosen and created by student volunteers. The object is that the sound in some way represents the meaning of the highlighted vocabulary word.

Sequenced sound effects can be retold in story format; written, shared and story-line variations discussed.

Songs are for everything:  rules, motivation, informational facts, reading strategies, plus so much more.

Songs can be re-worded and melodies reused:

Comprehension Songs (from Capo Unified School District):
Visualize…to the tune of “Jingle Bells”
Visualize, Visualize
I can visualize!
Words make pictures in my head, of all that I’ve just read!

Visualize, Visualize
I can visualize!
People, places come alive when I visualize!

Questioning….to the tune of “Are You Sleeping”
I ask questions,
I ask questions,
As I read –
As I read –

Who… what, where, when and why
Who… what, where, when and why
I’ll find answers.

I’ll find answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. Your comment will appear after approval by this blog's editor.