Friday, April 17, 2015

What Made Me a Reader?

I recently started a professional learning session by asking my colleagues to write about how they learned to read. Of course, I wrote with them. 

I wrote a fast and furious list of words and phrases to represent specific memories. Then, I reviewed the list to see if there was a common theme.

There was definitely a common theme, and I'm a little embarrassed to admit what it was.

Extrinsic rewards were a positive part of my development as a reader.

Book It. Winning a writing contest. Participating in the summer reading program at the public library. Almost winning the third grade spelling bee (I still hold a grudge against p-r-a-i-r-i-e.) Battle of the Books. 

Extrinsic rewards were a big part of my memories of learning to read. At first, this made me completely panic. It doesn't take much of a Google search to find information about how extrinsic rewards do not lead to joyful lifelong reading. Extrinsic rewards are not something research would say creates readers.

So, why were extrinsic rewards so important to me? And, why do I love to read even as an adult despite being "bribed" with external rewards?

Maybe it's because I was a reader before the extrinsic rewards. The rewards were just a bonus for doing something I already loved.

Maybe it's because I was a proficient reader. Reading-related rewards were not embarrassing or shameful for me because I always received one.

Maybe it's because my family didn't live in poverty. We could go to eat at Pizza Hut monthly; I cashed in my coupon for a free pan pizza, and my family bought pizza for themselves.

Maybe it's because some of the rewards were also paired with social activities and collaboration. I didn't just win a writing contest; my family members wanted to talk to me about my award and wanted to hear me read my writing.

What started as a quick writing activity led to lots of thinking and reflection resulting in this conclusion:

I don't need to panic about the significant role extrinsic rewards played in my development as a reader. It wasn't extrinsic rewards that made me a reader. I was already a reader; the extrinsic rewards were just an extra benefit. However, the extra benefit that was fun for me could be devastating for another child - a child who struggles with reading, a child who lives in poverty, a child whose parents or family don't yet know how to support their literacy development.


1 comment:

  1. I really appreciated your line towards the end, "the extra benefit that was fun for me could be devastating for another child." This is such an important thing to remember as all too often we hear, "It was good enough for me when I was in school," said as though it was something other than anecdotal evidence. There are a number of studies that show tangible rewards tend to have a negative effect on motivation.With reading, however, Marinak found there is no negative effect if the prizes given are books, magazines, etc. I just blogged on the topic myself today at http://gettingyourkidstoread.com/2015/05/11/books-for-rewards-not-rewards-for-books/ . (I hope it is OK to post the link here)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated. Your comment will appear after approval by this blog's editor.