Monday, February 17, 2014

What Are You Reading? (February Edition)



Professional Reading:

from Jaimie. . .
Funner Grammar 
by Sandra Wilde
So many teachers still want to teach grammar as an isolated skill.  This has been a great resource for me to help teachers understand the benefit of teaching grammar in conjunction with writing.

from Jaimie. . .
40 Reading Intervention Strategies for K-6 Students: Research-Based Support for RtI 
I haven't dug into this book ye;t however, it is a new book that the literacy coaches in my district will be starting a book study on.

from Lisa. . .
When Kids Can't Read What Teachers Can Do: A Guide for Teachers 6 - 12
by Kylene Beers (Lisa)
As I am working to help teachers differentiate, it occurred to me that the focus of small group instruction for our students who struggle, is what teachers need help planning for, so I turned to my old friend, Kylene. One of the things I appreciate about this book are her if/then charts. I think those charts will help me to support teachers in planning for the supplemental small group instruction in the classroom.

from Andrea. . .
Change or Die 
by Alan Deutschman
This was recommended by a fellow educator after a conversation about how hard it is for some teachers to accept change.

from Andrea. . . "I am flipping through the stack on my nightstand that includes. . ."

  • Reading Unbound by Jeffrey D. Wilhelm and Michael W. Smith
  • Book Love by Penny Kittle
  • Rigorous Reading by Nancy Frey and Doug Fisher


from Carrie. . . "This month I’m revisiting ‘old favorites’ in professional resources to stay rejuvenated throughout the lingering winter months! Instant applicable intervention ideas and strategies."
  • When Kids Can't Read What Teachers Can Do by Kylene Beers
  • I Read It, But I Don't Get It by Kris Tovani
  • Catching Up On Conventions by Chantal Francois and Elisa Zonana
  • Notice and Note by Kylene Beers and Bob Probst
  • Advancing Formative Assessment in Every Classroom by Connie Moss and Susan Brookhart

from Julie. . .
Self-Directed Writers 
by Leah Mermelstien
In this book the reader will learn how to nurture kids to become self-directed during writer’s workshop. Leah will show you how to make the time during writer’s workshop productive for students and teachers.

from Heather. . .
An article that discusses their research and thoughts on text-dependent questions

from Heather. . .
Interventions that Work 
by Linda Dorn and Carola Soffos
Reviewing the authors’ work as my district looks into interventions.

from Barb. . .
I was super-excited to see two Wisconsin educator's published in this month's Journal of Adolescent and Adult Literacy. Marci Glaus wrote about text complexity, and Ann Marie Hillman wrote a literature review related to disciplinary literacy in mathematics.

Personal Reading:

from Lisa. . . 
"I just finished The Girl Who Played with Fire, and have started to read Wonder."

from Barb. . .
I am finally reading Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell. It's been recommended to me by no less than three people over the past year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. Your comment will appear after approval by this blog's editor.