Friday, November 15, 2013

What's Hot with the Common Core?

Since the CCSS have come into the picture, I have seen more “intentional” teaching than ever before.  Teachers know what they are teaching and why they are teaching it. They have an understanding of the vertical alignment as well.  There is more of a push to reach the standards because they know what is expected of their students next.  

To be honest, I was a classroom teacher three years ago, before the CCSS were adopted by so many states. I didn’t even know the standards for my grade level (first grade).  All I knew were the assessments I had to give for report cards.  The curriculum was what we taught - not the standards.

The CCSS now brings a level playing field for students and teachers.  We teach the standards now and the curriculum is our resource. Teachers are understanding the "why” more than ever and not so focused on the “what.”  Expectations and rigor have risen and the most remarkable thing  . . . students are rising to the challenge.  I have observed some of the most incredible lessons in the last year.  The Common Core not only has the students more engaged in their learning but the teachers more engaged in their teaching.
It’s a remarkable thing to witness and be a part of.

We have been working so hard in my district becoming familiar with the Common Core State Standards and implementing them with success over the last three years.  I am listing below the three“hottest” topics in regard to CCSS in my district and resources that we use to tackle them.  

Unpacking the standards and SMART Goals

“I Can” Statements and Learning Progressions

“Close” Reading

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. Your comment will appear after approval by this blog's editor.